Sunday, June 29, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Before I launch into this opinion piece, I should explain that I don’t have cable.


Not that I think anyone is surprised by that. I’m a college student and a fledgling journalist, which makes me double-broke. It’s an occupational hazard. As one of the side effects of my limited TV options, I think I’ve been consuming a slightly healthier media diet. (I’m on track to lose more than15 intellectual pounds by September. My brain can fit into those jeans from high school again!)


But there are also downsides. I now realize too much of what I consume has been print and web, and too much of it has leaned to the left side of the political spectrum. It wasn’t until after the presidential primary season ended that I realized I hadn’t kept track of what was going on at CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC. So hopefully you’ll understand that this really hadn’t come to my attention until after the primaries were decided. I’m pretty sure this isn’t a case of paternalistic gender roles leading me to view a woman more positively when she loses, as Gloria Steinam discusses here. At least, I’m pretty sure…


Anyway, the nominees had already been decided for both parties when I came across this video montage from the Women’s Media Center by way of Judith Miller’s New York Times blog.


(By the way, Miller had some pretty pointed comments about the recent film, "Sex and the City." I personally haven't seen it and don't have an opinion on it, so anybody that's angry about that can forward responses to her. I'm steering clear of that battle.)


I’d seen some disturbing instances of chauvinism passing for journalism here and there, but nothing like this. I’m far from an apologist for Hillary Clinton, but this clearly demonstrated how blatant sexism had been masquerading as political commentary lately.


“…nutcracker…”

“…looking haggard…”

“…you’re a knockout…”

“…nagging wives…”


My nonviolent, even-keeled nature gave way to disbelief and anger. I really wanted to punch Chris Matthews in the throat. And nothing says “good old boys’ club” quite like Mike Barnicle’s comment about Hillary “looking like everyone’s first wife standing outside a probate court.” Of course, Barnicle… “everyone” has a “first wife.” Though I can’t imagine why anyone would want to leave someone like him or Marc “men-are-allowing-women-to-take-over-the-world” Rudov …


How is it that serious media voices can get away with language like this without loud, public rebukes from journalists? If journalists are upset, I haven’t heard much about it.


In addition to outrageously flouting basic standards of respect or fairness, I see this stuff as a direct assault on all our mothers, sisters, classmates, significant others, coworkers and teachers. That makes it this African American male’s business. Injustice anywhere is threat to justice everywhere. Guys that care about feminism like me aren’t exactly being altruistic.


Something should be done about all this unseemly and socially irresponsible language. But students that beg for every freelance job they can get and watch the Daily Show on the internet usually don’t get to make decisions about stuff like that.


~Geoffrey Dobbins
UCABJ, Vice President

1 comment:

Professor Sonnenberg said...

Bravo, Geoffrey!
I showed this video in my Intro class last week and they were all aghast, too. Something about seeing it in a montage makes the individual instances become even more intolerable.
So I say, bring on the skinny brain jeans. You are in fine form for them.
Elissa

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online